What is Sustainability?
Sustainability is development in which humans and nature can exist in harmony without compromising the needs of present and future generations. Sustainability includes:
- defining operations to reduce our carbon footprint through energy efficiency, conservation, and process optimization
- lessen and limit the impacts of the built environment on natural systems through low impact design, integrated design management, system optimization
- incorporating efficient and conscious ways of handling materials including reducing amount of materials, reusing materials, and recycling materials
- providing transportation options to reduce commuting emissions
- educating current generations and training the next generation
What is the latest news about VCCS sustainability and conservation efforts?
Governor Ralph Northam signed Executive Order Seventy-Seven aimed at reducing Virginia’s reliance on single-use plastics, which pollute waterways, harm fish and wildlife, and take up space in landfills. The order puts the Commonwealth on a path to eliminate most single-use plastics at state agencies, colleges, and universities, imposing a near-term ban on several common, but unnecessary disposable plastics and requiring the phase out of other items by 2025.
Read the governor’s release in its entirety: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/all-releases/2021/march/headline-893985-en.html
Reduce VCCS carbon footprint and educate future generations about environmentally sustainable policies and practices. Accomplish this through a combination of projects and initiatives spanning campus operations, academics, workforce training, college community behavior, external engagement and community outreach.
- Incorporate environmental considerations into all aspects of planning, contracting, operations and education.
- Make a concerted effort to progressively reduce overall environmental impact — measured by reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Educate about sustainability and provide green jobs training across the Commonwealth.