On May 17, 2018, the State Board gathered at the System Office in Richmond for its sixth and final meeting of the 2017-2018 fiscal year. Highlights of the meeting included the following Action and Information items:
Approved Action Items:
1. Tuition Rate Increase: Details here
2. Chancellor’s Task Force on Applying the Community College Mission to Virginia’s 21st Century Needs (aka Enrollment Management Task Force): Recommendations from the Task Force were presented to the State Board and approved. Look for a detailed article in the next issue of the Statewide Syllabus.
3. President Emeritus Status: The State Board approved President Emeritus Status for retiring Reynolds Community College president, Dr. Gary Rhodes.
4. Mellon Foundation Grant Award: The Virginia Foundation for Community College Education and Virginia Commonwealth University received a joint grant award of $2.3M to support an arts and humanities collaborative pathways initiative between VCCS, Virginia Commonwealth University, John Tyler Community College and J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College. Over the three-year grant period, faculty and staff will develop mapped pathways to majors, dual admission procedures, targeted student support strategies, and co-curricular activities to prepare students for seamless transition to upper division classes at VCU without loss of credits. Dr. Sharon Morrissey will serve as Principal Investigator for this grant.
5. Academic Services Program Approvals, Discontinuations and Title Changes:
The State Board approved the following new programs/credentials:
• BRCC’s Associate of Applied Science in Automotive Analysis and Repair
6. Facilities: The State Board approved:
• NVCC’s proposed Lease Amendment at 1821 Michael Faraday Drive in Reston.
• NVCC’s proposed Lease Amendment at 21335 Signal Hill Plaza in Sterling.
• SVCC’s request for the removal of Mobile Unit TT1 on the Christanna Campus.
• TCC’s Norfolk Campus Master Plan.
• VWCC’s Lease for Culinary Program.
To review the entire list of items covered at the State Board meeting, visit Board Docs, then click on the Meetings tab at the top right, then select May 17, 2018, Meeting, then click on “View Agenda.”
Post a Comment