AWARDS & RECOGNITION: Inaugural Leadership Award Recognizes Outstanding Adjunct Professors
Front row (l to r): Toby Cook (VHCC), Marci Gale (CVCC), David Warren (TCC), Dr. Kerry Ragno (TCC), Peggy Vaughan, Trina Campbell (GCC), and Dr. Joyce Hurt (SVCC). Back row (l to r): VHCC President Gene Couch, CVCC President John Capps, Chancellor Glenn DuBois, Dr. George Vaughan, Dr. Jeanne Wesley (GCC), and SVCC President Al Roberts.
The inaugural George B. Vaughan Leadership Award for Outstanding Adjunct Faculty has been awarded to an impressive group of community college professors. The five award recipients were chosen from among the approximately 9,000 adjunct faculty members throughout Virginia’s 23 community colleges and announced during a dinner reception held in conjunction with the 2016 VCCS First Year and Adjunct Faculty Institute in Glen Allen, VA on Nov. 17.
The award, named in honor of Vaughan’s distinguished career in higher education, was created by the Virginia Foundation for Community College Education to highlight the achievements of part-time faculty members. Vaughan was the founding president of Mountain Empire Community College who would go on later to take the helm at Piedmont Virginia Community College. Vaughan has written more than 100 books and been named one of America’s 50 most effective community college presidents.
The Vaughan Award recognizes one outstanding adjunct faculty member from each of the Virginia Community College’s five regions served by a Regional Center for Teaching Excellence. Each award also includes a check for $1,000.
“The instructors we honor with the Vaughan Award are among our very best,” said Glenn DuBois, chancellor of Virginia’s Community Colleges. “These part-time instructors make a big-time impact on the students they serve, as well the success of those students. And we are honored to have George Vaughan joining us as these inaugural awards are announced.”
The honorees include:
- Dr. Trina Campbell Adjunct Instructor for Math, Germanna Community College, Northern Virginia Region
- Mrs. Toby Cook Adjunct Instructor for Health Care Technician I & II (Nurse Aide), Virginia Highlands Community College, Southwest Region
- Ms. Marci Gale Adjunct Instructor for Electronics, Engineering, Math, and STEM Academy, Central Virginia Community College, Central Virginia Region
- Dr. Joyce Hurt Adjunct Instructor for English, Southside Virginia Community College, Mid-Central Region
- Mr. David Warren Adjunct Instructor of Music, Tidewater Community College, Tidewater Region
Post a Comment