220 clock hours of instruction delivered within a 16-week format for professional studies training.
General Education (see Schedule)
ESOL (see Schedule)
Online delivery via Blackboard along with six scheduled “face-to-face” sessions using the VCCS compressed video network. Potential compressed video sites available for students to attend the six required sessions or seven if you are a foreign language student, are determined by the applicant pool each semester and are Community Colleges with Regional Advisors (see Contacts).
- Foundations of Teaching
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Teaching and Learning Math, Science, or Foreign Language Methods
- Teaching Reading in the Content Area
- Classroom Management
- Foundations of Teaching/Cross-Cultural Education
- Curriculum and Instruction/Methods of Teaching ESOL
- Classroom Management/Cross-Cultural Education
- Methods of Teaching ESOL in Elementary and Secondary
- Reading and Writing in the Content Area/Reading in a Second Language
- Teaching Reading to the Developmental Learner
- Secondary Content Specialization Methods
Students will be required to participate in a 40-hour field placement during Level One. This field placement is designed to allow Career Switchers to become as involved as possible in the day-to-day activities in the school.
At the completion of Level I, the Program Director will apply for your 1-year Provisional (Career Switcher) Licensure with the Virginia Department of Education (Note: there is a $50.00 application fee for this license)
Career Switchers must be paired with a mentor for the first year. Support and follow-up is provided by the VCCS Career Switcher Program.
Career Switchers must participate in 5 special professional development seminars. Delivery method will be on-line and compressed video.
After completion of all Career Switcher requirements and one successful year of teaching, upon recommendation from the school division, the Career Switcher is eligible for a regular five-year license.
- Begin job search by contacting HR personnel in school divisions in the locality where you would like to teach.
- Understand clearly your license and endorsements.
- Submit applications to school divisions.
- Stay in contact with the Level Two during your job search.
- As soon as you accept a position, send contact information of school principal to the Program Manager.
After you submit your application, if you meet all requirements and are selected you will enter the Career Switcher Program at Level One.